Niederfinow boat lift
The Niederfinow boat lift, opened in 1934, is the oldest operational boat lift in Germany. It is part of the Oder-Havel-Canal and bridges a vertical distance of 36 m between the Barnim ground moraine and the Eberswalde glacial valley. Ships are lifted in a caisson filled with water, which is held by 256 steel cables. The caisson is moved by four 55 kW direct current motors. The weight of the filled caisson of 4,290 t is compensated by 192 counterweights. Regular boat tours of the Niederfinow boat lift are available.